Sunday, January 18, 2009

God's Commands

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

I used to think the Bible was just a list of rules to follow. And if we didn’t follow them, God would condemn us to hell. He was God, and that was His prerogative.

As I have grown in my faith, I have come to realize that every command in the Bible is for our own good. If we followed all of them perfectly, we would never want for anything, and we’d be completely healthy physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally. If everyone followed them, there would be no crime, we’d all get along, and the world would be perfect.

God loves us, and He gave us these commands for our own good. Granted, we are still obligated to follow them because He gave them to us, but none of us can do that flawlessly, despite our best intentions. Thankfully, that’s why He gave us Jesus to die for those imperfections that we will never be able to overcome in this life. And when we get to heaven, we will attain that state of perfection that we can only long for here.

No comments: