Friday, January 9, 2009

An Unexpected Answer

I have always sort of felt that if I prayed about something and didn’t get a clear answer, it was because I wasn’t right with God. Lately I have been realizing that God has provided us with His word, and it contains many of the answers we need. Such was the case this week.

I had a dilemma at work that there seemed only one solution to. I had prayed about it and hadn’t come up with any good answer, so I made a tentative decision to go behind someone’s back and do something that I wasn’t supposed to do. A co-worker agreed to be my accomplice. I knew in my heart it wasn’t right and kept reminding God that it was the only real solution. Finally, a little voice told me to ask the person over me, whose authority I was planning to defy, for permission to do this thing. I asked God to give me the opportunity if He wanted me to ask her. He gave me an open door yesterday morning.

I wasn’t expecting her to be understanding, but I knew at this point that I had to accept whatever decision she made. I explained the situation to her. At first she didn’t give me a yes or a no, but later in the day she called me and told me that it was okay to do what I was planning to do. I am so relieved that now I can do it with a clear conscience.

I realize that the Holy Spirit will never direct us to do anything that goes against God’s Word, but He may serve as our conscience when we are plotting a bad decision. I am thankful that I listened to His voice this time. God does have answers to our problems, even when we don’t. We should never go against His Word, even if we don’t see any other good solutions.

Sometimes I have to learn things the hard way.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I seem to always learn things the hard way :0) Thank you for sharing a great lesson of faith for me this morning! Looking forward to seeing you this Sunday!!!

Angie said...

What a great reminder and truth. Thanks for sharing.