Friday, January 2, 2009

It’s the big 0-8!

Today is my niece Gracie’s 8th birthday. She’s still in the Carolinas visiting Melissa’s family, and I miss her (and her family)! I can’t believe it’s been 8 years since we were down at Baptist Hospital waiting for her to be born. (She finally made her appearance way past my bedtime.) The first time I saw her my first thought (after "Wow, I’m an aunt – thank you, God!") was, "she looks like ET," but of course, I didn’t say so. Then Melissa’s dad held her, and the first thing he said was, "she looks like ET." (They had put some kind of shiny stuff in her eyes that caused this – she doesn’t look like ET anymore!) My second thought was, "she kind of has reddish hair; surely she won’t keep that." We didn’t have redheads in our family. Well, needless to say, I was wrong about that. Not only she, but two of her siblings have red hair.

I am happy to see Gracie growing into a young woman of God. I am happy that she and her family go to church with me and that I teach her in Community Bible Study. I am happy to see her involved in soccer and other activities. It has been so fun to watch her grow, to have conversations with her and hear her take on things. She is very helpful with her younger siblings and is growing more independent by the day. I’m so thankful to have her for a niece!

Happy Birthday, Gracie!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Of course my Dad would be the one to say that out loud!! I will make sure she sees this! Thank you for being an awesome Aunt!

Angie said...

Yes...we love our Gracie!! I think I'm gonna cry!