Friday, January 23, 2009

Random Thoughts

One thing I have learned in my medium-length life is this: what gets made a priority gets done. What doesn’t get made a priority usually doesn’t get done. I have struggled in recent years with my priorities. I first have to decide what is really important. Then I have to make it a priority. Usually it’s the deciding that’s the hard part.

For the second half of last year I blogged every day, with a few exceptions that were accompanied by good reasons. Blogging was a priority for me. But when new year came and I thought about what my resolutions should be, I had to reexamine my priorities and realize that I was spending way too much time on the computer and neglecting some other things that should be higher priorities. So I’ve been blogging and participating in other computer activities less.

Another issue for me is that it’s hard for me to do things halfway. A part of me either wants to blog every day or not at all, so it is a major accomplishment for me to be able to do it some of the time. But I’m working on it.

And while we’re on the subject of new year’s resolutions, my other resolutions were to get healthier and to control my tongue better, particularly in the area of judging others. I am happy to report that I have been doing at least somewhat better with my eating and have lost the 7 lbs. that I gained over Christmas, but still have more to lose. As for the judging thing, well, each day is a fresh start. It seems like I’m doing it just as much as ever, but it may be that the Holy Spirit is just making me more aware of it because I have asked Him to.

Practicing my flute has become a high priority for me for now so I can try to get up to speed with this concert band thing I’m doing. Hopefully at some point I will be able to slow down a little and make that a lower priority.

So those are my random thoughts for the day. Maybe for the next few days. I’ve got to go plan a healthy menu and maybe do a little exercise. And practice my flute.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I can relate to many of your "random thoughts" :0)