Friday, May 15, 2009

Beautiful Berries

I have been getting a handful of strawberries every day from my garden. They are tasty!I am hoping they’ll start coming in a little faster so I will have enough to make my favorite strawberry pie. I got this recipe from The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook.

Rose’s Strawberry Pie

3 pints strawberries
½ cup water
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
whipped cream
pie crust (see below)

Sort 1 pint of the smaller or imperfect berries and cook in water, boiling for 3 or 4 minutes. Mix sugar with cornstarch and add to glaze, stirring constantly, until glaze is clear and thick, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

Arrange remaining berries in the pie shell. Pour lukewarm syrup over, coating every berry. Chill and serve with whipped cream.

Hot Water Piecrust

½ cup shortening
¼ cup boiling water
1½ cups flour
Scant tsp. salt
Scant tsp. baking powder

Put shortening in bowl and pour boiling water over it. Stir until smooth and creamy.
Sift flour with salt and baking powder. Stir flour mixture into liquid until it forms a ball. Chill at least ½ hour.

Roll out dough and fit into 10-inch pie plate. Prick all over with a fork and bake at 500° for 6 to 8 minutes until light brown.

Yum!

While we’re on the subject of strawberries, here is a picture of my garden that I took from an upstairs window. The back left square is my strawberry patch; back right is herbs, and the 2 in front are vegetables. A neighbor’s cat has been coming over at night and using it for a litter box, which causes me to think evil thoughts. I’ve also had a quite a bit of trouble with bugs and rabbits helping themselves, but that’s usually less of a problem once everything gets past the seedling stage. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to a great harvest!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Your strawberries look dee-lish!!! And you grew them yourself! Woo hoo! I've seen the laura Engalls Wilder cookbook. We visited her homestead one summer. Truly a little piece of Americana! Hope your pie is good. :)

Smelling Coffee said...

Wow, Jill! I'm impressed with your gardens. Some rabbits ate ever bit of our tomato plants several weeks ago. We thought evil thoughts, too. :-)