Friday, May 29, 2009

Gardening Update #2

We've had SO much rain. That has been mostly good for my garden, though I have lost a lot of strawberries to sogginess. A lot of them survived, though, and I've been able to make 2 of my pies, one of which was a big hit when I took it to church last week. I've put 4 quarts in the freezer too, for strawberry shortcake or strawberry-pretzel salad later (I may share that recipe some other time). There are still a few coming in, but they are past their prime now.

Most everything else is flourishing. I have 1 little tomato, interestingly on the plant that I put in a pot because I ran out of room in my garden.

I planted pole beans around my corn stalks, so if all goes well, they will grow up the stalks. I have read about this and tried it once before. It didn't do very well then, but that was a really dry summer when nothing did well, so I'm going to try it one more time.
I visit my garden several times a day because something new is always happening. I think we'll have green beans and peppers in a few weeks, and other things won't be far behind. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Pam said...

This is so cool... I love that you're doing this! : )

Billie said...

I wish our garden looked so nice! But then... I don't visit it several times a day. :)