Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I ♥ Pumpkins

I love pumpkins. They make me happy. They are one of my favorite things about fall. Every year I buy one, keep it and enjoy it for a while, and then cook it and freeze it in zip-lock bags so I can make pumpkin pies, bread and other goodies all year long. Then I can roast the seeds for a once-a-year treat. This process takes a while, but it is something I enjoy doing. Here’s how I do it:
-
Wash pumpkin thoroughly. Cut a circle (approximately 6" in diameter) around stem and lift out. Cut a smaller circle (approximately 3" in diameter) in bottom of pumpkin and lift piece out. Scrape out pulp (save the seeds!) and cut pumpkin into 6 or 8 wedges, depending on size.
-
Put wedges on cookie sheet(s) and bake at 325° for one hour, then turn to 300° for 2-3 hours, or until soft but not watery. Remove from oven and let sit until completely cool (an hour or more).
-
Using knife, remove skin and any leathery parts from top and sides. Cut into chunks and puree in food processor until smooth. Put into colander lined with cheese cloth and allow to drain.
-
I then measure out 1 and 2-cup portions to freeze.
-
To thaw, take out of freezer at least 24 hours beforehand and place bag in bowl in refrigerator (it may leak as it thaws). Use in any recipe that calls for canned pumpkin.
-
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (from allrecipes.com)
-
1½ Tbsp. butter, melted
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds, washed thoroughly
-
Preheat oven to 275°. Combine butter, salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce and pumpkin seeds. Mix thoroughly and place in shallow baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
-
Cool Thing to Know: Allrecipes.com is a great place to find recipes for almost anything!

1 comment:

God's Girl Pearl said...

Thanks. I will check this website out.