Friday, October 17, 2008

Memorable Birthday Gifts: The Quilt

While it is October, I thought I would blog about a few of my birthdays that I particularly remember. One that stands out to me was my 35th, because my mom made me a very special gift. She is an excellent seamstress and made many of my clothes while I was growing up. Apparently she saved all her scraps through the years and for this birthday gift used them all to make a beautiful quilt for me. It brings back many memories as the fabric reminds me of outfits I wore as a child (though I don’t remember all of them). The yellow-and-white checked fabric around the edges was like my bedspread during my school-aged years. It touches my heart to think of the many, many hours she spent selecting and putting together the fabrics and trim, cutting, measuring, and hand stitching it all together. It is a gift that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Thanks, Mom!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Love the quilts. I have a special place in my heart for hand made things. Found you recently through blog hopping. You've been tagged.. hop over to see me for the info.

~Kay

Melissa said...

I love that day! I remember sitting on the floor with baby Grace when you opened it. It is such a beautiful quilt made by your Mama's beautiful hands and heart.