Saturday, November 15, 2008

Christmas Card Etiquette, From My Perspective

Even though it’s only mid-November, I’m already hearing people talk about sending out Christmas cards. I was talking to my sister-in-law, Melissa, yesterday about whether we’re going to send them out at all this year. Christmas is such a crazy time which I really don’t like very much anyway (more on that later), and cards are just one more thing to stress about.

In some ways they’re good. It’s a way to keep in touch with people that you may not be in touch with the rest of the year, although you kind of have to wonder about the quality of those relationships if all they consist of is a once-a-year Christmas card. I think it’s acceptable to send them every other year. That way, you get a little less stress one year out of every two.

There are several different options for sending Christmas cards.

The Newsletter. I have done this a number of times, and for the most part my recipients seem to enjoy them. At least they tell me they do. I have heard comments through the years (not directed at me) making fun of those "boring" newsletters, but I don’t think they have to be boring. I always enjoy them most if they are not too long (1 side of 1 page is good), contain interesting highlights and not too many details. Pictures are always a nice touch too, especially if you have kids.

The Photo Card. These can be made very cheaply at Wal-Mart. Just have someone take a family photo, choose your "frame," and they’ll fix you right up. I like receiving these, and it’s even acceptable not to add a personal note. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

The Plain Card. No matter how elaborate a design you pick, these are not overly exciting unless they at least have a personal note added. I guess it’s a gesture to let people know you’re thinking of them if you just send a signed one, but not a very heartfelt one. I would maybe send one of these to business acquaintances and others who aren’t personal friends or family.

So, there you have it: my opinion. I think I’ve decided I’m not going to send out cards this year, so if you don’t get one from me, please don’t take it personally. Check back later, and I’ll wish you a Merry Christmas via my blog.

4 comments:

Smelling Coffee said...

I'm working on ordering those Christmas photo cards this weekend. But I only send them to out of town people and a few that live here that I don't see on a reg. basis. :-)

Melissa said...

i share your sentiments completely. is sentiments the right word for what i mean?? anyways, i think we are going to not send them this year either. it does help to have a blog and fb, as far as my out of town family goes. they are enjoying a daily or weekly update and are loving the pictures there. my problem is dealing with the guilt i'll probably feel when i receive christmas cards and don't return one. i guess it will teach me to not pout the following year if i don't receive one from someone i send it too. i'm always learning something new.

Pam said...

I agree about the 'plain card'. I am always sad when its just a signed name. lol I like pics and letters. Sometimes that is the only time we hear from certain ppl and the only way to see what everybody is up to/how their kids have grown. Time slips away!

Technonana said...

We LOVE the photo cards!!! After Christmas, I make a collage of them and hang it up so we can see it all year long.
If they are close relatives, sometimes I will put them in a frame until the next year when I get new pictures!!!