Saturday, November 22, 2008

Southern Pralines

This is probably my all-time favorite cookbook. Published in 1987, I’m pretty sure it’s out of print now. It is chock-full of good, down-home southern recipes. Calorie counting is not a factor in most of them.

The first time I visited my in-laws, who live in Iowa, I wanted to take something that was a taste of the South, so I chose "Southern Pralines" from this cookbook. They loved them and have asked me to make them every year, so I’m revving up to make them this week.

These are not for the faint of heart. Extremely sweet and rich . . . they are delicious! They’re not too difficult to make, but you do have to follow the directions pretty closely.

Southern Pralines

2 cups sugar
2 cups pecan halves
¾ cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/8 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking soda

Combine all ingredients except baking soda in a large, heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring gently, until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook to soft ball stage (235°), stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in soda. Beat with a wooden spoon just until mixture begins to thicken. Working rapidly, drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased wax paper. Let stand until firm. Yield: 1½ to 2 dozen.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Yum! I think I'll try these...I bet Adam will LOVE them! Thanks Jill.