Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How Pets Improve Your Health

I went for many years without pets (other than hamsters). I was frequently lonely and often afraid at night. Then I got my dog Dasha. She turned my life upside down.
-
When you have a pet, especially if you don’t have children, you are fulfilled in having something to take care of, something that needs and depends on you. They build your self-esteem when they joyfully greet you at the door every time you come home and treat you as if you hung the moon. When you sit down to watch TV, you have someone who will curl up in your lap. In the case of dogs, you have a built-in burglar alarm. They bring laughter to your home with their antics. (Our dog Nash is especially full of them.)
-
Dasha was a big factor in helping me lose a lot of weight several years ago, and keep it off for the most part, because she needed to be walked every day. I have gotten to know a lot of my neighbors through my dogs too. When people see you walking a dog, most naturally assume you’re a nice person and feel free to start up a conversation with you.
-
Studies have shown that pets decrease blood pressure and cholesterol and have other physical health benefits, and I have no trouble believing this.
-
Getting a pet is a responsibility not to be taken lightly, but I believe the benefits of owning one far outweigh the disadvantages. I don’t think you should get one if you aren’t prepared to care for it properly, but if you can find room in your home and your heart for one, I think a pet would bring a joy to your life.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

i agree....lexie helps me to stay sane and she never talks back like my other babies do...ha, ha!

she loves our family so much and i feel safer when the kids are in the backyard b/c she is watching their every move. she reminds me so much of the dog "nana" from the movie peter pan.

MADDIE said...

I so agree...I love my new poodles so much, but perhaps it wasn't the best time in our lives to get new puppies. Yeah, it was another one of those spur of the moment decisions that I should have put more thought into. Regardless though, they are now a part of our family! They think I hung the moon and do crazy things when I do not cheerfully greet them after being gone all day....like wee on beds.....oh that makes me so crazy. I think they will outgrow some of those types of things. Wow, Nash looks really big in that picture. I think God truly had us get him that day to be yours. It is just so neat how you wanted a black cockapoo...that is what we got. Even their names go together Dasha & Nash. "ASH" Interesting!

Jill said...

Well, thanks for getting him for us. ( : I know he was a challenge for you, and was for us for quite a while too, but he is really a good dog now.

Angie said...

Hhmmm...dogs "lower" blood pressure???? I thought in our case it was just the opposite :-)!! I'm totally kidding...I love our Reggie...We've almost had him for a year now. He is the most snuggly thing...He is loved by us all (and that's saying a lot for Adam...he wasn't the biggest fan of the idea when I said "let's get a puppy for the kids")! Now, he loves on him probably even more than me!

Smelling Coffee said...

This is crazy, but I've been wanting a tiny dog for a while now. But, we're not animal lovers enough towant to sacrifice for it. If I could have a dog, I'd want a small one, but not one that looks like a rat. One that's small, quiet, and fluffy, and neat, and clean, smells good, can stay home all day by itself and not make a mess of anything, and... So, I guess, all I really need is a Webkins! :-)