Monday, November 10, 2008

Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers

I grow jalapeño peppers every year in my garden. I’m never quite sure why I do it; I usually just end up letting them go to waste, but they grow so well, at least it gives me satisfaction to have something so productive.
-
This year was different. A lady I know made these appetizers for a dinner I went to, and I have become an addict. Now the jalapeños don’t grow fast enough. These are delicious! The cream cheese cuts down on the hotness of the peppers, but I would recommend wearing rubber gloves or plastic bags on your hands when you are cutting them up. I use an apple corer to remove the membranes from them, which works pretty well.
10 large jalapeño peppers
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
10 bacon strips, halved
-
Cut off tops of peppers and cut in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane. Spread approx. 2 tsp. cream cheese in each half. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick. Place on a broiler rack that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until bacon is done. Serve warm.
Mine are kind of wimpy because I had to pick a bunch of little ones before the frost got them. Still tasty, though!

1 comment:

Smelling Coffee said...

Yum! This looks delicious!

I buy jalapeno peppers at Save A Lot on Lebanon Road. They have a lot of Hispanic food and always have good, big pepppers. (Just and FYI for after the frost.) :-)