Friday, November 21, 2008

The Evil Media

Don and I watched a Nova special on PBS this week about the Old Testament. We were excited that Nova would cover such a topic, but after we had watched it for a little while, we realized that our joy was futile. They were basically on a quest to convince people that the Bible wasn’t true. It was when they said that the Israelites were really Canaanites, not a separate people as the Bible clearly states, because their pots they used were similar to those used by the Canaanites, that I had had enough and quit watching it. Don lasted a little longer, but he too gave up before it was over.

It makes me mad that the media can say whatever they want to, and people will believe them. They can make up lies about anything and speak them as if they were the truth. PBS, the "educational" channel, is especially bad, for example, about talking about evolution as if it were an established fact.

On Wednesday morning in Bible study we were studying Sodom and Gomorrah and talking about how the media today glorifies sin, i.e. homosexuality, the specific sin the Bible most clearly cites as what was going on in Sodom before God destroyed them. On Wednesday night I was watching a show I like, Bones. We don’t usually get to watch it because of worship team practice at church, but practice got cancelled, so we watched it. In that episode one of the best-liked and most respected characters, Angela, announced matter-of-factly and shamelessly that she is a lesbian. There was no real sense of shock from any of the other characters.

As I have said before, I don’t hate homosexuals as people, but the Bible clearly says homosexuality is wrong. I believe God will judge our society for treating it as if it weren’t.

This is why I almost never watch TV. I can’t control the things they say, but I don’t have to watch it. Why, as Christians, do we allow the values of Hollywood into our homes to pollute our minds and those of our families? There may be a few good things on there, but basically every time I watch it, I am shocked and disappointed.

I think the media is responsible for a good deal of the moral corruption that is prevalent in America today. If we would just turn off the TV, stop watching movies, reading gossip magazines, and giving the media power over us, I think we would all be much better off.

No comments: