Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hymns

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16

Old hymns are probably my favorite kind of music. Many churches are now going to more contemporary music, which I believe has its place, but not to the exclusion of hymns. These are songs that have stood the test of time, where gospel truths are spoken well and have been sung for generations, and I believe many of them will be sung in heaven. It would be hard for me to even choose my favorites, because I have so many, but here are a few of them:

Holy, Holy, Holy
A Mighty Fortress is Our God
How Great Thou Art
O Worship the King
Great is Thy Faithfulness
It is Well With My Soul
All Creatures of Our God and King
Amazing Grace
My Jesus, I Love Thee

I could go on and on. Then there are all the Christmas and Easter ones and all the patriotic ones that I love as well.

Hymns are a wonderful legacy that we shouldn’t neglect to pass on to the next generation. What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love hymns too! I like 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus'...oh what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer. Truest words ever spoken!

I also like 'Great is Thy Faithfulness'... Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.

We sang Great is Thy Faithfulnes at our son's memorial. Very special to me and very very true!

Melissa said...

I also have a special place in my heart for hymns. My friend Erin Kiser gave me a CD once of old hymns that her and the women in her family made. Thank you for posting this b/c I've gotten it out to listen to :0) I like a lot of those on your list. Some of my favorites to add are:

"Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"
"Blessed Assurance"
"Be Thou My Vision"