Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Amber’s Wedding

On Saturday Don and I went to the wedding of Amber and T.J. It was kind of a sentimental day for me because I used to rock Amber to sleep. In fact, I was her first babysitter when she was only a few months old. I babysat for her, and her 4 younger siblings as they came along, for many years. I went to her piano recital, high school graduation and other events through her life, and now "my little girl" has gotten married.
-
It was a unique wedding in a lot of ways. One of the first things I noticed was that the ushers weren’t wearing shoes. I thought maybe the tux provider hadn’t given them any, but then I noticed that the bridesmaids weren’t wearing any either, nor were the bride and groom. During the ceremony the pastor explained that Amber and T.J. considered it to be holy ground on the altar where they were pledging their vows to one another, so they had the entire wedding party remove their shoes, as God told Moses to do in Exodus 3:5.
-
The pastor talked about Jesus washing the feet of his disciples in John 13 to demonstrate His humble servanthood toward them. He told them to wash one another’s feet in verse 14, so Amber and T.J. washed each other’s feet during the ceremony to demonstrate that they would be servants to each other. It was an emotional moment with lots of sniffling going on.
-
I was so happy to be a part of Amber’s day. I think she has found a Godly man, and I wish them the best for a lifelong and happy marriage.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW, that is AWESOME! I love weddings, they always remind me of our wedding vows and how deep our love is for one another. Sounds like an amazing ceremony, I wish I could have been a witness. I love the pictures too :)

Smelling Coffee said...

What a special idea - about the feet and no shoes. Time flies, doesn't it!?!