Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Change of Plans

On Labor Day Don and I had planned to go drive down the Natchez Trace and find a good spot to picnic and hike with the dogs. Unfortunately, I thought I remembered how to get there so didn’t bother to get any directions before we left.
-
I was wrong. We got all packed up with 2 very excited dogs and headed west on I-40. We got off at what I thought was the right exit. It wasn’t. My frugal husband was unwilling to waste gas to go looking for it, so when we spotted signs for Harpeth River State Park, we decided to change our plans and go there instead.
-
Well, it wasn’t exactly the Natchez Trace, but we made the best of it. We couldn’t find any picnic tables so ended up eating in the car with 2 very frustrated dogs in the back seat. (We later realized there was another section of the park that we missed, so there might have been picnic tables there.)
-
We did find a hiking trail and got out and hiked for a while and took in some pretty scenery, accompanied by 2 very happy dogs. They wanted to wade in the river, but last time we let them do this, Dasha got a parasite and was 1 very sick dog, so they were denied that pleasure this time.
-
We returned home with 2 very tired dogs. The day wasn’t what we expected, but it wasn’t bad. (It turned out the Natchez Trace was 1 exit further down the road than where we had gotten off.)
-
I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this park unless you are going to go canoeing (there are rental places nearby), but it wasn’t too bad for hiking. As my dad would say, "it beat a kick in the head."

2 comments:

Angie said...

This place looks very nice (especially for pictures...as I look at every place as a potential photographic masterpiece in the making). We pass these exits on the way to my sister's home in Memphis. We'll have to stop some time and check it out. I enjoy your blog!

Angie

Jill said...

Thanks! ( : We had to do some climbing to get that second picture.