Friday, September 26, 2008

A Cutting Remark

I think one of the simple pleasures of life that rarely gets adequate consideration is a good knife. I have several knifes that I consider essentials when cooking. One of the problems I have with cooking anywhere besides my own kitchen is that I can rarely find just the right knife. Here are a few of my favorites:
-
The paring knife. This one is perfect for peeling and cutting fruits and vegetables, nice and sharp but easy to handle. I have 4 of these, and it’s never enough between dishwasher runs.
-
The big knife. This is probably my favorite knife. I wash it by hand, and it almost never gets put away because I use it pretty much every day. It was given to me by my brother, the chef, several years ago. It is great for cutting most meat and larger fruits and vegetables or slicing a cake or bar cookies.
-
The vicious knife. This was also given to me by my brother. I fear this knife. I have had a number of gruesome accidents with it, including cutting a hunk out of my thumb. I have developed a healthy respect for it though, and when I have something heavy-duty to cut (a fresh pineapple, tough meat, etc.), this is my knife.
-
The electric knife. My husband warns me that I should fear this one, but I don’t. It has never actually personally offended me, and it is just right for cutting perfect slices of bread from a fresh, homemade loaf. Not overly expensive, I think this is a great "gadget."
-
Maybe I just need to get out more, but my knives really do make me happy. ( :

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Maybe you would enjoy knive throwing.......it really is kind of fun. AJ has special knives that he throws outside into a plank of wood with a drawn target, it's pretty fun. The kids like to watch.....from a safe distance of course.

Smelling Coffee said...

Thanks for the cutting remarks!

I just bought a new knife set this summer like Rachel Ray uses (starts with an S, can't remember the name), but have enjoyed thinking about all the things I can now cut. (Not that I've used it much on those things...just thinking about them has been quite fun.) :-)

Angie said...

If you had music...you could have posted the old Bryan Adams song "Cuts like a knife"...remember that one? HA!
I don't know much about knives...do you think that's because I'm not in the kitchen too much?