Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11: I Remember

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." II Chronicles 7:14
-
If you are an American over about age 13, you probably remember vividly what you were doing on September 11, 2001.
-
It was the scariest day of my life. Reports of attacks kept coming in, and I didn’t know when they would end. I feared I would never see my family again or know life as it was before.
-
I’m sure most of you had similar feelings. That day was followed by a surge of patriotism and by a brief period of people turning to God as they were reminded of their own helplessness: Bible sales and church attendance went up, and even the media carried prayers for our nation and other references to God.
-
I think our president and those under him, particularly our military, have done an excellent job in warding off further attacks; so good in fact that many people have seemingly forgotten that we ever had one. Liberals are shouting that the war is useless and needs to be ended, and our need for God has been forgotten.
-
What happened? Now it seems we are back where we started, if not worse. The hostility toward God may be greater than ever before.
-
We were founded as a Christian nation, and God blessed us with strength and prosperity, such that we have become the greatest nation in the world. But now we are turning away from Him, going against His principles and even denying His existence. We are really not very different from Sodom and Gomorrah, and if you want to know how God handled them, you can read about it in Genesis 19.
-
What will it take to bring us back to Him? Will it take another day like September 11 or something much worse? Those of us who do seek first the kingdom of God should be on our knees regularly praying for revival in our country and for God’s mercy upon us.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you God for your grace and mercy. Please forgive our country for our many sins and spare us from evil.

Smelling Coffee said...

I second Melissa's comment. :-) Good recap, Jill~!

Angie said...

You write so well Jill...keep allowing God to use you in this capacity!