Friday, September 12, 2008

God Uses Women

I have never been a feminist or anything even remotely close. I believe woman was created to be a companion and helper to man (Genesis 2). However, there are instances in the Bible when God uses women to do great things aside from being wives and mothers. Here are some examples:

Miriam – this young girl’s quick thinking saved her baby brother Moses (Exodus 1:15-2:10). She was a prophetess (Exodus 15:20) and a supporter of Moses throughout her life.

Rahab – a prostitute who saved 2 Israelite spies (Joshua 2). She and her family were saved when Jericho fell (Joshua 6:22-25).

Deborah – a judge and prophetess who was instrumental in delivering Israel from the Canaanites (Judges 4 and 5).

Jael – killed Sisera, the commander of the Canaanite army, by driving a spike through his head while he slept (Judges 4 and 5).

Esther – a queen who saved the Jewish people from Haman, who sought to destroy them (Book of Esther).

I know of a few ultra-conservative Christians who are not going to vote for McCain-Palin solely because they don’t believe a woman belongs in the office of vice-president, but I think that is a mistake. I certainly believe God can and does use women, and He has been doing so throughout history.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your wisdom. Thank you for always sharing it.

Angie said...

I second Melissa...you a very wise and I love hearing your heart on these matters!